Friday 11 July 2014

Stylist Meeting...

 Today at I got to look into the world of styling and preparing for a large scale photo shoot for a high street brand. I work in the head office of the high street brand I'm talking about today and I love it. I've technically been there for a few years now but I was a work experience, now I have a role and being paid! It's such an amazing job and I learn thousands of new things everyday. Anyway let's get to the topic of today..


 I got into the office this morning, put down my stuff, quickly checked my emails then it was straight off to the stylist meeting. This wasn't my first stylist meeting but because the photo shoot was a large one and was being held in New York it was a very important and hectic day. I've met the stylist they use before and she's lovely. She dresses so simple yet sophisticated, not how I imagined a stylist would dress but it totally works, she's so chic. Someone had drawn a diagram of the room and the positions we should all be in, I laughed at the stick figure with spikey hair and 'Laura' underneath it. My role was to make sure all the clothes which were put together in outfits and which shots they were going to be in were communicated into shoot sheets with all the proper codes and information, including styling comments. Now this doesn't sound like much, or even fun, but blimey!

 I hovered around the stylist and the team, which included the creative managers and the heads of buying departments whilst they were selecting the outfits and it was so interesting and exciting to listen and see the process, especially with a freelance stylist involved. I had always thought how fun and amazing it would be to work on a photo shoot or be a stylist, but I never really thought about or knew what goes into it, and it's a lot of work. Although, being hired to stand in a room full of clothes and making outfits sounds like an amazing job, freelance stylist yes please.


 The meeting went on all day and included a lot of running round and stressing, making sure all the numbers and codes of the items were correctly placed on the shoot sheets and packed. Luckily we had two work experience girls in, although they were a tad bit slow...

 I love looking around at all the product so much. I make an imaginary shopping list so when it hits stores god help my bank balance..

 I'm excited to see all the shots from the shoot! I'd love to go to a photo shoot with the company and see what really goes on and that! Think it would be an amazing experience.

 I love the shots and photo shoots that the brand I work for achieve, I love the philosophy of the brand and how they communicate it through the shoots. I've seen all the shoots that'll be in store soon and they're amazing!

 Overall today was hectic but definitely an eye opener! I love how much I learn everyday at head office and not just visual merchandising wise. Fashion is such a vast field and if you don't have a clue of what direction you'd like to go into then god help you as so many sides of fashion seem fun and exciting. I know when I was nearly finishing uni I made a list of what i'd like to do and it was visual merchandising (Obviously) and styling.

 Hope you enjoyed todays post! Getting on top of this blogging thing aren't I! Loves it.


No comments:

Post a Comment